My wife and I just returned from a 10-day trip to Colorado where my eldest son and his wife live. Actually, to be more specific, they live in Denver, but we did not spend all 10 days there. No, we journeyed out into the hinterland to enjoy the sights and sounds. And it was spectacular, to say the least. No doubt about it, we were on a “Rocky Mountain High!”
I heard a song the other day about Colorado, and one of the lines went, “Colorado may not be heaven, but it must be on the way.” I couldn’t agree more. The majestic mountains, the cascading rivers, the wildflowers and valleys are unequaled. And the temperature, “Wow!” is all I can say. This was in mid-July, mind you, and although the temperature was in the mid 90’s in Denver, it was in the low 70’s in the mountains. And the humidity is in the 20 percentile. In the evening it would drop down to the low 50’s. It shouldn’t be surprising, for this is after all, the high desert region. Who could ask for anything more?
I’m pretty much of a “flatlander” from the Midwest, so to me this was a rare treat. We traveled down to Ouray, which is a small former mining town, about 6 hours drive from Denver in southwest Colorado. Ouray has become a tourist goldmine now. In the winter it is a popular ski launching point and in the other three seasons, it is perfect for those who enjoy hiking, exploring via off-road vehicles, and white-water rafting (something that is on my personal agenda, once I talk my wife into it).
My wife and I do enjoy hiking and spent a good deal of time doing just that. The awe-inspiring vistas were well worth the often strenuous climbs. The only negative part of the whole experience was praying up the mountain. Not that praying is negative, but what precipitated it. My son and daughter-in-law love to drive on what I would call hazardous roads (or should I call them “trails”?). In any event, there are no shoulders, no guardrails, and often only room for one vehicle. When one looks out over the edge of the road, it is a drop off, straight down of about 2,000 feet.
On one occasion we were headed over Red Mountain Pass on a paved road which was under construction. Workers had just finished resurfacing a section and the white line that marks the edge was actually slightly off the edge of the road, which meant that if you wandered to the right of it, you could end up at the bottom of the gorge. Can you believe it?
This makes our fourth trip out there, but each time we go, we have the pleasure of visiting a different area. Colorado is a virtual playground. Recreation abounds. I can imagine if you lived there, you would not have a need to travel anywhere else (Do I sound like a member of the tourists department?). I told my son that if he would just finish off his basement level, we could move there. He didn’t take the bait, but just smiled.
One day, as we ascended a trail, we stopped for a few minutes just to catch a glimpse of a valley, stretching out before us several hundred feet below. It was absolutely awesome. My son said, “You know, Dad, I’ve heard people say they don’t believe in a Creator, but how could anyone see what we’re looking at, and believe that? I concurred of course and instantly there came to my mind a scripture, “You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness, O God our Savior, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas, who formed the mountains by your power, having armed yourself with strength” (Psalm 65:5,6).
I can only agree with what the Psalmist said in 8:1: “O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth.”
I heard a song the other day about Colorado, and one of the lines went, “Colorado may not be heaven, but it must be on the way.” I couldn’t agree more. The majestic mountains, the cascading rivers, the wildflowers and valleys are unequaled. And the temperature, “Wow!” is all I can say. This was in mid-July, mind you, and although the temperature was in the mid 90’s in Denver, it was in the low 70’s in the mountains. And the humidity is in the 20 percentile. In the evening it would drop down to the low 50’s. It shouldn’t be surprising, for this is after all, the high desert region. Who could ask for anything more?
I’m pretty much of a “flatlander” from the Midwest, so to me this was a rare treat. We traveled down to Ouray, which is a small former mining town, about 6 hours drive from Denver in southwest Colorado. Ouray has become a tourist goldmine now. In the winter it is a popular ski launching point and in the other three seasons, it is perfect for those who enjoy hiking, exploring via off-road vehicles, and white-water rafting (something that is on my personal agenda, once I talk my wife into it).
My wife and I do enjoy hiking and spent a good deal of time doing just that. The awe-inspiring vistas were well worth the often strenuous climbs. The only negative part of the whole experience was praying up the mountain. Not that praying is negative, but what precipitated it. My son and daughter-in-law love to drive on what I would call hazardous roads (or should I call them “trails”?). In any event, there are no shoulders, no guardrails, and often only room for one vehicle. When one looks out over the edge of the road, it is a drop off, straight down of about 2,000 feet.
On one occasion we were headed over Red Mountain Pass on a paved road which was under construction. Workers had just finished resurfacing a section and the white line that marks the edge was actually slightly off the edge of the road, which meant that if you wandered to the right of it, you could end up at the bottom of the gorge. Can you believe it?
This makes our fourth trip out there, but each time we go, we have the pleasure of visiting a different area. Colorado is a virtual playground. Recreation abounds. I can imagine if you lived there, you would not have a need to travel anywhere else (Do I sound like a member of the tourists department?). I told my son that if he would just finish off his basement level, we could move there. He didn’t take the bait, but just smiled.
One day, as we ascended a trail, we stopped for a few minutes just to catch a glimpse of a valley, stretching out before us several hundred feet below. It was absolutely awesome. My son said, “You know, Dad, I’ve heard people say they don’t believe in a Creator, but how could anyone see what we’re looking at, and believe that? I concurred of course and instantly there came to my mind a scripture, “You answer us with awesome deeds of righteousness, O God our Savior, the hope of all the ends of the earth and of the farthest seas, who formed the mountains by your power, having armed yourself with strength” (Psalm 65:5,6).
I can only agree with what the Psalmist said in 8:1: “O Lord, our Lord, how majestic is your name in all the earth.”

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home