PARADISE. Where exactly is it? Everyone has their own idea. Some say it is in Tahiti or Hawaii or some other such place. I say its right here—right here in Michigan. Perhaps not in the winter months, but certainly now. Now is May 13 and Michigan is Paradise. It is 70 degrees, the sun is shining, and there is a slight breeze blowing. What a glorious day for a walk.
So I did just that and was mesmerized by the beauty I beheld. Blossoms were in full display. Dogwoods, Redbuds, Lilacs, and more. The sights and aromas were incredible. My neighborhood is ablaze with the handiwork of God. I know they appear every year, but the older I get, the more I enjoy them. Of course it helps when it’s a sunny day. And it was. Everything is so green, so ripe. The world has come alive again and the call of the redwing blackbird signals the maturation of this season. Spring is God thinking in gold, laughing in blue, and speaking in green.
I absolutely love this time of year. I wish May could be frozen in time. I am a child of May, as is my wife. Mine the 30th and hers the 6th. We celebrate all the month long--no, not just our birthdays, but the season itself.
And this is for our enjoyment. God has preserved this beauty in spite of the Fall. But of course there is a higher purpose for it all. Nature expresses the creative genius of Almighty God. Every flower of the field, every fiber of a plant, every particle of an insect, carries with it the impress of it's Maker. The beauty displayed before our eyes is meant to draw our attention to Him.
Harvard philosophy professor George Santayana was giving a lecture one day when he paused to look at the brilliant forsythia blooming outside the window. Many long seconds passed. Then he said, “Gentlemen, I very much fear that that last sentence will never be completed. You see, I have an appointment with April.” He left the room and never gave regular lectures again.
So enjoy the season. It’s all too brief. Look away for a while from the busy pursuits of life and gaze upon the wonder that surrounds us. Take time to smell the roses. It will alter your mood and make you feel good about life in general.
So I did just that and was mesmerized by the beauty I beheld. Blossoms were in full display. Dogwoods, Redbuds, Lilacs, and more. The sights and aromas were incredible. My neighborhood is ablaze with the handiwork of God. I know they appear every year, but the older I get, the more I enjoy them. Of course it helps when it’s a sunny day. And it was. Everything is so green, so ripe. The world has come alive again and the call of the redwing blackbird signals the maturation of this season. Spring is God thinking in gold, laughing in blue, and speaking in green.
I absolutely love this time of year. I wish May could be frozen in time. I am a child of May, as is my wife. Mine the 30th and hers the 6th. We celebrate all the month long--no, not just our birthdays, but the season itself.
And this is for our enjoyment. God has preserved this beauty in spite of the Fall. But of course there is a higher purpose for it all. Nature expresses the creative genius of Almighty God. Every flower of the field, every fiber of a plant, every particle of an insect, carries with it the impress of it's Maker. The beauty displayed before our eyes is meant to draw our attention to Him.
Harvard philosophy professor George Santayana was giving a lecture one day when he paused to look at the brilliant forsythia blooming outside the window. Many long seconds passed. Then he said, “Gentlemen, I very much fear that that last sentence will never be completed. You see, I have an appointment with April.” He left the room and never gave regular lectures again.
So enjoy the season. It’s all too brief. Look away for a while from the busy pursuits of life and gaze upon the wonder that surrounds us. Take time to smell the roses. It will alter your mood and make you feel good about life in general.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home